One may not be aware that a library is able to offer such a plethora of options and benefits for the frugal shopper. These may be a reminder for some, but for others, you might end up expediting a trip to your local book hut to snag yourself some of these great freebies.
1. Books. This may seem like the most obvious answer, it certainly was to me. Have you been in there lately though? The library is more than just kids books! There are books on every single topic you can find. And it gets even better because if your library doesn’t have it, they are more than happy to bring it in from another location, all free of charge!
2. CD’s. No, probably not the brand new CD’s, but the older ones. Think Christmas music, spooky Halloween music, those CD’s that you just never bought. You can borrow them. Free of charge!
3. Computers galore. If your computer is down or you’re researching a certain topic while at the library they’ve got computers and tons of them. They’re on a secure server, so all searches are linked to your card number and are safe.
4. Printers. A color copy is only a quarter at our local library and a black and white copy is just ten cents. So, for a larger printing project, I’m bound to use the library instead of a printing place as the cost is substantially less.
5. DVD’s. The library has quite a few DVD’s. Borrower, beware, the copy of The Lion King missed it’s replacement date many scratches ago, but I am sure that was a rotten apple.
6. Magazines. Yep, you guessed it, there’s even magazines to borrow. Think remodeling or decorating ideas.
7. Meeting rooms. Do you need a space for a meeting? A lot of libraries have conference rooms you can check out in hourly increments.
8. Audio Visual Equipment. There’s audio visual equipment to borrow. To boot, mine also has a projector screen. I have used these in the past for slide shows at our children’s birthday parties. No cost or deposit, but make sure to put all of the cords back in the case when finished and use lightly so it’s available for next time. Our library, as I’m sure many do I’d suspect, has a gentleman that’s in charge of the electronic equipment. So, make sure to call and reserve the things you need ahead of time to assure it will be there for you when you’re ready.
The next time you consider remodeling a room, or are researching baking a cake that you’re just not so sure you can swing, head on over to your local library to check out the selection. I think you might find yourself pleasantly surprised.
This is a guest post by Kate at Coupon Cravings. Kate lives with her Husband and two kids (ages 4 1/2 and 1) outside of Des Moines, Iowa and enjoys using a coupon when she can, along with finding the best things for free or little to no cost.
(Photo Credit: CowgirlZenPhotography)
Guests Posts, Tips,